The Chinese outlet eSportsFocus talked to PSG.LGD mid laner Lu “Maybe” Yao on the media day at The International 2018 and we are happy to share with you the English translation of the interview.
Hi Maybe and thank you for taking the time for this interview. How do you feel about your performance during the group stage?
In the beginning, we weren’t doing great. Luckily, as the group stage progressed, we managed to regain our form bit by bit.
So, what caused your underwhelming start?
Pressure and stress. The good thing is we’ve solved our problems through communication.
LGD is the only Chinese team in the upper bracket, does that put extra pressure on your shoulder?
There’s no such thing, we will take every game seriously no matter we‘re in the upper bracket or lower bracket.
Virtus.pro is your first round opponent, how do you feel about this match-up?
Actually, we are pretty confident that we can beat them.
What do you think about the other Chinese teams’ performance in the group stage? What went wrong?
The teams in group B (Newbee, Serenity and Vici Gaming) just got unlucky, some of them were one win away from being seeded in the upper bracket. I don’t really know what went wrong since I’m not on their team, but probably it was because of all the pressure. It’s pretty common that newcomers get nervous at TI.
What are your thoughts on western teams’ performance so far? Like Team Liquid, Virtus.pro and Evil Geniuses.
They were in great form since the beginning of the group stage and their results are pretty decent. But in my opinion, it’s not necessarily a good thing, because usually, the main event might not be a smooth sail for the teams that played super well in the group stage.
Do you believe in the odd-even numbered year pattern?
Yes, I do.
Do you think that the pattern will continue this year?
Yes, I do.
So, which team will make the pattern to continue this year?
Alright then, we wish you best of luck. All eyes on you!
Disclaimer: VPEsports is a Washington State based esports news media company funded by VPGame.
More interviews from The International 2018:
– YawaR VGJ.Storm: “Sumail and I are like best friends”
– ppd – OpTic Gaming: “We have a better chance against PSG.LGD than versus VP”
– N0tail – OG Interview: “The deny mechanic takes some of the fun away from the game”
– Sylar VGJ.Thunder – Interview: ”I will retire when I’ll feel I’ve become a burden to my teammates”
– 33 – OpTic Gaming: “I don’t know where some of the changes to heroes are coming from”
– Resolut1on – VGJ.Storm : “OG is still an interesting matchup for me”
– Solo – Virtus.pro: “I believe he [KuroKy] is the best leader”
– Fly – Evil Geniuses: “I will get to my side of the story one day, but right now my focus is completely on TI”
– Iceberg – Winstrike: ”If you are afraid to play someone here, then you just shouldn’t be playing at TI”
– XinQ – Team Serenity: “I was wild and out of control”
– No[o]ne – Virtus.pro: “I hate the mid lane right now”
– KuKu – TNC – “If you are playing good Dota, there are no individual plays”
– PSG.LGD – Chalice: “Virtus.pro drafts are not that good”
– TNC – Raven: “We messed up the drafts”
– Team Liquid – MinD_ContRoL: “We picked Optic because we don’t have a good history against Team Secret”
– paiN Gaming – Tavo: “Every defeat is a lesson…I’d just rather not lose here, you know?”
– OptTic Gaming – Pajkatt “OpTic is better than any of the teams I’ve played in before”
Don’t miss out on any bit of information regarding the biggest Dota 2 event of the year with the VPesports TI8 tournament hub. Head over here to find the latest news, TI historical plays, the records and stats registered over the course of seven years of TI history and many other interesting features!