Azel “Abed” Yusop is finally returning to the professional scene after about four months of inactivity, however, he won’t play for his team, Evil Geniuses.
Starting tomorrow, August 20, Abed will be featured as a stand-in on the Geek Fam roster and will make a change from his traditional mid lane role to the carry potion to fill in the empty spot left by Marc Polo Luis “Raven” Fausto who left the team at the end of July to join Fnatic.
Abed hasn’t been able to play with his own team, Evil Geniuses due to the high ping between the Philippines and US server. He stayed on the sideline since April this year when the entire competitive schedule switched to online tournaments and while EG switched several stand-ins to be able to compete in the NA region, Abed focused on public matchmaking grinding and became the first player to reach 11,000 MMR.
His return to the competitive scene will be made with Geek Fam in the $135,000 Asia division of ESL One Thailand. The tournament is set to commence tomorrow, August 20 with 12 teams entering the battle for the title.
Geek Fam roster for ESL One Thailand
- Azel “Abed” Yusop (stand-in)
- Karl “Karl” Jayme
- Carlo “Kuku” Palad
- Kenny “Xepher” Deo
- Matthew “Whitemon” Filemon
Geek Fam will be seeded alongside other five squads in the group stage of the tournament, but as the regional qualifiers for the event are not done yet, the groups are yet to be drawn. The 12 participating in the ESL Thailand Asia division are:
- Geek Fam (direct invite)
- Fnatic (direct invite)
- TNC Predator (direct invite)
- BOOM Esports (direct invite)
- T1 (direct invite)
- Royal Never Give Up (direct invite)
- Sparking Arrow Gaming (direct invite)
- Aster.Aries (direct invite)
- Motivade.Trust Gaming ESL Thailand Championship winners)
- Hashtag?.DOTA (ESL Thailand Championship runners up)
- Neon Esports (closed qualifiers finalists)
- TBD (closed qualifiers finalists)